Anesthesia is the use of medicines that can cause pain relief during surgery, such as dental procedures, facial surgeries, and many more. They also refer to these medicines as anesthetics. Even surgical procedures like rhinoplasty use anesthesia during the procedure. Now, how do we differentiate general anesthesia vs. local anesthesia?
Using anesthesia will bring a lack or loss of sensation for pain relief during the procedure. The patient can either be conscious or not. Surgeons choose the type of anesthetics they will use depending on what kind of procedure they will perform. Additionally, anesthetics also vary depending on the person’s age, health condition, and medical history of the patient with anesthetics.
In dental procedures and facial surgeries, let us discuss the type of anesthetics under each of these procedures. We will go first with dental procedures.
Anesthetics for dental procedures and their side effects
For dental procedures, there are three main types of anesthesia. It includes the local, sedation, and general. All of them have different ways of how they are applied and also generate after-effects individually.
- Local anesthetics: They widely use local anesthesia for simple procedures, such as cavity filling. Local anesthetics are also for procedures completed in a short period and generally less complicated.
- After-effects: These anesthetics are usually safe. On the other hand, temporary adverse effects may also arise, such as blurred vision, dizziness, headache, or vomiting.
- Sedation: It is an excellent option to relax the patient with anxiety and work out with pain.
- After-effects: Sedation can cause drowsiness, procedure amnesia, slow reflexes, low blood pressure, or headache. These side effects can last for a few hours.
- General anesthesia: These anesthetics are specific for procedures that will take longer or if the patient has a high level of anxiety. During this period, the patient remains unconscious and is not fully aware of the procedure.
- After-effects: It might cause temporary memory loss, dizziness, shivering, sore throat, bruising or soreness from the IV drip, and nausea. Sometimes, you might wake up when you are in your recovery room.
Anesthetics for facial surgeries and their side effects
Facial surgeries are now enormous, either for cosmetic or restorative reasons. One example of this facial surgery is plastic surgery. If you will be undergoing a less complicated procedure, they would probably use local anesthetics on you. Several procedures are using either injections or topical anesthetics.
However, if you are a person with a fear of surgeries, it would be better to apply general anesthetics to ensure your comfort. It would be better to do a procedure while you are unconscious. This way, doctors can prevent unguaranteed conditions during the process or surgery.
Local anesthetics can cause soreness where it was injected and might also cause allergic reactions. While for general anesthesia, it might cause nausea, vomiting, confusion, and other rare after-effects.
As stated above, you can see that whichever procedure you will get yourself into, doctors or surgeons will decide depending on you as the patient. Any anesthetics varies according to the procedure. Any anesthetics will give you after-effects that might be temporary or for a long time.
On the other hand, this will not be a decision you have to make alone. The doctors or surgeons will discuss with you which type of anesthetics is suitable for you. In effect, they will carry out the procedure effectively while you are knowledgeable about it.
Moreover, before you discuss anesthetics, you would probably have a discussion about the procedure for your condition. The doctors or surgeons should present the consequences and potential outcomes to you beforehand.
Anesthesia is a way the doctors use to eliminate the sensation of the patients throughout the procedure temporarily. It is an innovative way to reduce the stress and discomfort of any patient undergoing an operation.
Moreover, medical industries have developed anesthesia has that will cover up different age levels, from young ones to adults. Everyone can undergo a procedure depending on how they want it, either conscious or not. Comfort and relaxation are necessary for a doctor to complete the procedure successfully.
In the long run, both parties wanted to achieve the best result the procedure has to offer. Best results will be in favor, both to the patients and their attending surgeons.