Keeping your dentures clean is an important factor that must be added up to your oral care hygiene. The best way to clean dentures is by brushing them daily using a dentures cleaner and a soft toothbrush. Soaking your clean dentures in warm water overnight will help maintain their cleanliness as well. Check out Custom Denture Clinic located in Sunshine Coast to see more tips on how to properly clean your dentures.
Best Way To Clean Dentures
Dentures are quite expensive and may even cost you more money if not well cared for. They can last for a long period of time if you know how to clean them properly. Luckily, there are many effective ways to keep your dentures clean.
Check out the list below to ensure that your dentures are always sanitized:
- Brush your dentures regularly with a soft-bristled toothbrush. But there’s a catch, do not use regular toothpaste on your dentures as they can damage the dentures over time.
- Rinse your dentures with clean liquid after eating. This will wash away the teeth stains and food particles in the gaps.
- Do not use a hard-bristled toothbrush in your dentures.
- Be careful not to damage the attachments.
- Soak the denture with a glass of homemade solutions.
- Store them in a dirt-free area.
- Kill the bacteria by placing them in a microwave. That’s right, scientists have discovered that the bacteria in a denture can be ultimately killed with the heat of a microwave. You can do this once a week for 3 minutes.
Additionally, you can use a non-abrasive liquid cleanser that is specifically formulated to prevent your false teeth from breaking easily.
Homemade Solutions for Dentures
The best way to keep your dentures disinfected is by leaving them up overnight with safe solutions that you can do by yourself. Listed below are some of the most used solutions for soaking dentures:
- Vinegar. You can sanitize dentures naturally by using this solution. This is an easy to do solution with ingredients that you find in your kitchen. To do this, mix an equal volume of vinegar and warm water together. Place the dentures in the solution for 30 minutes or while you are asleep.
- Baking soda. Baking soda can be commonly found in regular toothpaste. But since toothpaste is not recommended for dentures, you can make your very own natural toothpaste instead that can also remove stains. Just mix 2 tsp. of baking soda with 2 to 3 tsp of water or until you reached your desired consistency.
- Vodka. If you have spare vodka that you are not planning to drink anytime soon, you might want to use them as another alternative in cleaning your dentures. This alcoholic drink can effectively disinfect and whiten your dentures with regular use. Just soak your dentures in a cup of vodka and let it do its magic.
Always rinse your dentures after you soak them and before using them. You wouldn’t want that unpleasant taste of vinegar in your mouth for the rest of the day.
Do’s and Don’ts in Cleaning Dentures
To keep your removable dentures sturdy, you must also put other things into consideration. The process of keeping your dentures strong and clean may seem easy but there are several factors that might cause damage to them. Learn more on this page. Remember the tips below to maximize the lifespan and strength of your dentures:
- Handle and brush them with care.
- Remove them when sleeping.
- Rinse them before using.
- Observe proper oral hygiene not only for your dentures but for your teeth and entire mouth as well.
- Consult your dentist if they are starting to get loose.
- Do not use sharp objects in cleaning or removing debris in gaps.
- Avoid using harsh cleaning materials like a hard brush and strong toothpaste.
- Hot water is strictly prohibited in cleaning dentures. Boiling or hot water can damage your dentures.
- Keep your oral health in check.
- Practice proper eating with dentures. Even though they serve their purpose in chewing, there is a tendency for you to break your dentures if you use them in biting hard and large foods.